(new project) 69 Ironhead
I just picked up a new project, a basket case 66 hardtail frame with a 74 motor. Some nice stuff came with it, and I plan on building this one the way I want, not with just the parts I had lying around. It’s going to take some time, but I have my other FE to ride so I’m not in a hurry.
Sold the sporty tank and bought a Paucho tank and 21″ spoolie wheel. Still looking for a girder frame, but it’s getting there….
Sold the 74 motor and bought a 1969 motor and a cool old Girder
here’s the girder rebuild
New progressive spring for the girder shock rebuild
Frame welding and paint
Rear wheel build
Engine as it was bought
Andrew’s “Y” cams!
Tank painting and total screwup
Too much heat!!!!! Dumb dumb dumb…..
Rear wheel and oil tank mounted
I bought this 1976 Ironhead roller from a guy at my old job. He had the motor at the shop and magically it vanished the night I picked up the bike. Here is the roller I got, first picture is kinda bad, but it was the first picture I took of the bike.
Here it is outside waiting to get the engine put in. I bought a 1979 Ironhead engine with papers from Nick at Nick’s Harley shop in NJ. (If you never been there, take a trip, he’s got anything you might ever need for an old Harley)
Here is the engine I bought off Nick. We spent all afternoon trying to get it in, Zeke and I.
Here is Zeke after the engine was put in, feeling quite good after the mosquitoes had their way with us. The engine never fit just right, found out later that the oil pump is bigger on the 79, so days later I had the engine in and out a dozen times working on the frame to get it just right. Fit’s like a glove now…
In process picture, this one is getting closer.
This is what happens when you get an old chopper and four different people splice the wiring harness. It’s a nightmare….
One of many melt downs, so I rewired the whole thing.
I ripped any wire I saw out. And started from scratch, easier that way…
Firguring it out was the easy part. Finding all the right connectors what the hard part.
This is right before it got hot down here is Memphis, so I took off the front fender and put on a Lockhart oil cooler. This is how she looks today.
Runs like a champ, and gets comments wherever I go.
I bought this 1974 RD350 as a bike to tool around with while my cafe was in process. My dad came up from the beach and said he had one back in the day, so I got this crazy idea that I would restore this for him. Here is the RD350 when I bought it. It’s pretty ratty, but all there.
I rode it around until I sourced all the parts for the rebuild, didn’t take long as I am in the know for sourcing parts. I powder coated the frame, and rebuilt the engine with NOS pistons, they are much better than the re-pops (better compression and don’t score the cylinder walls)
Here the rear wheel and engine is in the newly powder coated frame. The RD250 in the background I did at the same time with my buddy Lee.
Here is the RD350 with the front end on. And more pictures of the build progress….
Here she is out on the street, the engine side covers still off.
Here the side covers went back on, and I was working on the electrics.
Just took off the tank and the seat for the wiring.
Here is the finished product, the paint is original as it was in good shape. As far as a restoration goes this is the way to go.
My dad loves riding this classic two stroke. The only thing that was not original was the upgraded shocks that were a necessity for this build. My dad is no little guy, and the original shocks were toothpicks.
Here is the Cb750 I bought for $150.00. A non-runner, with all he regalia that a misplaced vetter fairing could provide.
It was my place to strip it and give this old bike a new life, as a race inspired, Dick Mann replica CR750.
Had to rebuild the tired old 750 engine, and if you never have seen the inner workings…..
The top end off…
The heads…. Before
and after glass beading. I also rehoned the jugs and new rings and gaskets, after measuring all the tolerances of course.
On to the frame, the first thing I bought was the seat, followed closely by the replica CR750 tank.
I chopped everything off of the frame that was uneccesary, and threw on some rearsets and clip-on’s.
And this is how I rode it around all summer.
Now she’s back on the chopping block, with a new (slightly used) fairing, some more frame improvements, and electronic ignition, and hopefully some new wheels. Pray to the E-bay god’s for me…..
Just in mock-up now..
All done in the basement of my apt., and the very humble beginnings of Basementchoppers.
I’ll put up more pictures as it comes together.
I bought this oil tank on E-gay. It will really clean up the look of the cafe, and even hides the battery inside. I’m tearing into it right now and will update pictures soon…..
Here I’m taking off the old oil bag
Ready for the new oil tank!